Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wash Your Mouth Out!

Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
I thought I should kick off my foray into the blogging world with a super exciting post..about laundry soap!! Yay!!

Ok, truthfully, I wanted a way to keep the recipe I use online somewhere so I can pin it and find it on pinterest.  So here is the recipe I stole from somewhere and have a hard time finding it when I want to.  Anyway, this is for the non-liquid version. I've been using this soap for a few months now and it's great! It doesn't get every stain out, but it cleans the clothes and is sooooo cheap.  I keep Tide on hand for extra tough stains..but I bought that bottle like a year ago and its only half gone.  Here we go...
Powder:
  • 1/3 bar fels naptha, finely grated
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup borax
Mix in a small container. Use 1 Tbsp. per wash load.



I mixed up a double batch and kept it in an old OxiClean container with an old medicine measuring cup (that I thoroughly cleaned) marked at the 1 tablespoon line.  I use a little more for bigger or dirtier load.  I recommend shaking the mix up as things tend to settle.



Researching homemade soap, there was much debate about powdered soap messing with septic tanks.  Some say yes, others say, what? you are crazy..stop crawling around in the septic tank!  So far no problems, and I make sure to put water in the machine first, then detergent, and swirl things around a bit to make sure it gets dissolved. 

Side note...I just grated up 3 bars of fels naptha, which gave me about 4 cups of soap.  So dividing that into 1/3 bar would be about 1/3 cup and a third of 1/3 cup. I was never great with fractions.  So a little more than a third cup would be about right.  Or maybe I will just mix up a triple batch...hmmmm.

Keep it real, ya'll (I'm experimenting with post signatures...maybe I should use...
-I am Sami

No comments:

Post a Comment